Queen's Baton Relay Visits MSAC and Lakeside Stadium
On Saturday 10 February, the 2018 Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton Relay will be passing through both Lakeside Stadium and MSAC on-route to the Gold Coast as part of the St.Kilda to South Melbourne leg of the relay.
The baton will be making brief stops at Lakeside Stadium during the Athletics Victoria AV Shield Final, and MSAC during the Swimming Victoria Victorian Relay Competition, both events free and open to the public.
Olympic gold medallist pole-vaulter Steve Hooker will take the baton from Lakeside Stadium, then hand it off to Olympic diver Loudy Wiggins (Tourky) on the pool-deck at MSAC, metres from where she won gold at the 2006 Melbourne Commonwealth Games.
Support the baton bearers along their journey as part of the celebrations along the track, and within Lakeside Stadium and MSAC at the following times:
- 21am Baton arrives at Lakeside Stadium
- Lakeside Photo Op: 9.21 – 9.26
- 9.26am leaves Lakeside Stadium with Steve Hooker
- 9.35am Baton arrives at MSAC via north east gate (outdoor pool) entry and handed to Loudy Wiggins
- 9.40am leaves MSAC
- Baton continues via Cecil St to South Melbourne Market
More Information: http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/jan-2018-media_7416.htm
Beware Changed Traffic Conditions
Temporary street and road closures of up to 25 minutes will occur on a rolling basis on or near the route. Motorists are asked to observe the signage and instructions of traffic management staff during the event. The below times are approximate and may change slightly on the day:
- Jacka Boulevard / Beaconsfield Parade to Langridge St – 7.45 am to 8.15 am
- Canterbury Road and Fitzroy Street – 8.15 am to 8.35 am
- Lakeside Drive – 8.35 am to 9 am
- Lakeside Drive through to Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre – 9 am to 9.40 am
- Cecil Street – 9.40 am to 9.55 am
More information: http://www.portphillip.vic.gov.au/queens-baton-relay.htm